Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Greatest Debut Albums



The new Uncut lists the 100 greatest debut albums. The greatest of all? 1967's The Velvet Underground & Nico. While an excellent album, it totally came out before I was even, like, born. Greatest Debut Albums released in my lifetime include Arcade Fire's Funeral (100) and Franz Ferdinand (90). Whither Hasselhoff? As long as the Arcade Fire album's on there, might as well include one by Hasselhoff. The world loves the Hoff and he's trendy at the moment, too.

Uncut's Top 10 Greatest Debut Albums:

1. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
2. Television - Marquee Moon
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced
4. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
5. The Band - Music From Big Pink
6. The Clash - The Clash
7. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
8. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
9. Roxy Music - Roxy Music
10. The Stooges - The Stooges

The Velvet Underground - Femme Fatale (available on The Velvet Underground & Nico)

Roxy Music - Virginia Plain (available on Roxy Music)

Franz Ferdinand - Come On Home (available on Franz Ferdinand)

~ YouSendIt was down tonight, coincidentally the day after I got a bit of negative feedback about it. I've heard almost entirely positive feedback about YSI, but at least for me, when it is annoying, it's really annoying -- as in, it's just unavailable. Any thoughts about alternatives would be appreciated. The ideal service would be free, lightning-fast, and have no advertising, but nothing is ideal... As close as I can get to that would be great. ~

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete P. said...

Definitely Maybe, anyone?
And Whatever People Say... should be on there as well.

12:19 AM  
Blogger prolix said...

I wouldn't have either of those two anywhere near the list. Tracy Chapman's debut was fantastic and easily her best work, I'd consider that but i think the Uncut selection is pretty darn good.

11:36 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Whatever People Say... did make it on the list; it's at #36. The Libertines are there too, at #78. Don't have the mag yet to spy the whole list, darn it. I do like that the Stone Roses made it near the top and the Velvet Underground & Nico is a gem... I should probably revisit Tracy Chapman's debut...

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home