Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Friday, June 09, 2006

Undergrads Possibly Consider iPods More "In" Than Beer

In a recent Student Monitor survey, undergraduate college students were asked to name the most "in" thing, choosing from a list of items.

Despite the many headlines proclaiming that
students prefer iPods to beer, the results aren't quite that clear.

According to the survey, iPods were named as "in" the most frequently. 73% of the survey's 1,200 students said iPods are "in", edging out drinking beer and facebook.com which were both named by 71% of students. However, the poll's margin of error is 2.3%. Given the difference between the leading contenders and the margin of error, that still makes the iPod the probable winner, but we can't be sure. We can't know that the iPod is more "in" than drinking beer or facebook.com.

USA Today neglected to mention the survey's margin of error, but did speak with a representative of Student Monitor and get a bit of additional information. For instance, they ask whether "chasing the opposite sex" is still "in". "What we have seen in the past 10 years is they are more likely to be doing that in groups than individually," Student Monitor's Eric Weil replies. "Maybe they think there's strength in numbers."

Maybe they hope the other people will keep your designated-driver/date distracted while you listen to music, mess around on the computer, and drink.

The Get Up Kids - Beer For Breakfast (available on Eudora)

Reel Big Fish - Beer (available on Turn The Radio Off)

Joss Stone - Understand (available on Mind Body & Soul)

"I keep our song on repeat
On my iPod, even when I sleep"

2 Comments:

Blogger Niko Batallones said...

I like Joss Stone, and think Mind Body and Soul is one of the best albums I ever had, but I find that iPod lyric irritating. Sounds like product placement to me.

To be more honest, I don't have an iPod. I listen more from my PC.

7:55 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

I agree; I think the word iPod stands out as artificial.

Maybe she could have written her way around mentioning a specific product...

"I play our song on repeat
Keep my headphones on, even when I sleep"


Or something like that.

I have an iPod I very rarely use. Your not having one is likely a very good thing for protecting your hearing.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home