Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Monday, July 04, 2005

Green Day's Generation Punk CD

NME's 6/18 issue includes "Green Day Present Generation Punk" - a CD of the band's favourite punk "anthems." Yes, there is a Green Day song -- I mean, anthem -- on the CD. Minor quibble: It would have been nice if the liner notes (with Green Day's comments on the songs and some biographical info on the artists) appeared in the CD booklet, rather than just in the issue of NME. The CD comes in a jewel case, anyway and they already included a fold-out insert. Without further quibblage, the track listing and a few songs from the CD:

1. My Chemical Romance - "Give 'Em Hell, Kid"
2. The Distellers - "Drain the Blood"
3. mp3:Generation X - "Kiss Me Deadly" (Billie Joe Armstrong's "favourite song of all time." He says, "It was punk rock, but at the same time it was really sweet too. I was 16 years old when I heard it and Generation X were the first real punk rock band I ever got into. That song was instrumental in me wanting to start a band.")
4. Operation Ivy - "Knowledge"
5. AFI - "The Days of the Phoenix"
6. The Stooges - "I Got a Right"
7. mp3:MC5 - "The American Ruse" (Invented American punk. "Scene brothers to The Stooges as Operation Ivy and AFI were to Green Day, the MC5 fueled Iggy's menace with the anger and menace that followed the death of the hippy dream - just as 'American Idiot' tries to make sense of George Bush's America." From their 1970 album Back In The USA)
8. Alkaline Trio - "Back to Hell"
9. Deftones - "Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)"
10. Dead Kennedys - "California Uber Alles"
11. Filter - "Captain Bligh"
12. mp3:Flamin' Groovies - "Golden Clouds" (Mid-60s Psychedelic-rockers "never fully appreciated in their lifetime - though the Brit punk crowd picked up on them.)
13. Stiff Little Fingers - "Tin Soldiers"
14. Green Day - "Letterbomb"

Parenthetical asides from NME

Happy Independence Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home