Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Comes With a Smile Mag (Vol. 19) and CD (Vol. 15!)



The 19th volume of Comes With a Smile features two different covers featuring Frank Black (although I guess if they were two of the same covers that would make little sense) and includes the fifteenth volume of the Comes With a Smile CD. Wacky! I think they should include extra CDs with the next issue and get caught up. Volume 15 of the CD includes songs by Richard Buckner, Sleater-Kinney, Four Tet, The American Analog Set, Laura Veirs, and Frank Black, but it's hard to appreciate them quite as much now that I have the vague feeling I should have 5 Comes With a Smile CDs!

The mag itself contains interviews with The American Analog Set, Frank Black (who questions whether there's "any demand for the Pixies to make a record. It's a live thing." He says the band is "a little bit wary" and "might still do it". I seem to recall them saying they would do it, hmph! I still think they will), Richard Buckner, Laura Cantrell, colleen, David Eugene Edwards, Espers, Four Tet, Magnolia Electric Co., Marissa Nadler, Sleater-Kinney, Smog, Maria Taylor, Tremulous Monk, Laura Veirs, and Vetiver, along with loads of reviews.

Comes With a Smile Volume 15 Track Listing:

1. Espers - Firefly Refrain
2. Picastro - Shorter Hard
3. MP3:Richard Buckner - Pull (live on RCF, France May 2003)
4. MP3:Sleater-Kinney - Entertain (live on XFM, UK, April 2005) (this performance makes an interesting contrast to Buckner's. Clips of both could be used in, say, a coffee commercial. Bucker - before caffeine. Sleater-Kinney - after)
5. MP3:The American Analog Set - Everything Ends In Spring (edit)
6. Aaron Stout - The Ballad of Mr Lamatta
7. Marissa Nadler - Flora Barone, Queen of the Vaudeville Throne
8. MP3:Four Tet - Both When I'm Alone and We Both Are
9. Tremulous Monk - Tea Hippy
10. MP3:Laura Veirs - Flotsam 'n' Jetsam
11. MP3:David Eugene Edwards - Nobody 'Cept You
12. MP3:Vetiver (featuring Hairy Fairy) - You May Be Blue (live at Les Vieilles Charrue, Brittany July 2005)
13. colleen - The Zither Song
14. Laura Cantrell - Hammer and Nails
15. Pacific Ocean Fire - My Drinking Days Are Done
16. Maria Taylor - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
17. Frank Black - Atlantis

2 Comments:

Blogger serafinafly said...

thanks for the tracks... i took the laura veirs...great site by the way...keep it up... :)

6:15 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

"Betty", you're welcome and thanks!

Grad, three gimmes and I simply melt. Who told you?! It became a problem in dating-type situations, had to learn to plug my ears very quickly and do that "lalala I'm not listening" thing if I wasn't interested... I posted the song, as you knew I would, with that secret info you somehow acquired.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home