Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Comes With a Smile Mag (Vol. 19) and CD (Vol. 15!)



The 19th volume of Comes With a Smile features two different covers featuring Frank Black (although I guess if they were two of the same covers that would make little sense) and includes the fifteenth volume of the Comes With a Smile CD. Wacky! I think they should include extra CDs with the next issue and get caught up. Volume 15 of the CD includes songs by Richard Buckner, Sleater-Kinney, Four Tet, The American Analog Set, Laura Veirs, and Frank Black, but it's hard to appreciate them quite as much now that I have the vague feeling I should have 5 Comes With a Smile CDs!

The mag itself contains interviews with The American Analog Set, Frank Black (who questions whether there's "any demand for the Pixies to make a record. It's a live thing." He says the band is "a little bit wary" and "might still do it". I seem to recall them saying they would do it, hmph! I still think they will), Richard Buckner, Laura Cantrell, colleen, David Eugene Edwards, Espers, Four Tet, Magnolia Electric Co., Marissa Nadler, Sleater-Kinney, Smog, Maria Taylor, Tremulous Monk, Laura Veirs, and Vetiver, along with loads of reviews.

Comes With a Smile Volume 15 Track Listing:

1. Espers - Firefly Refrain
2. Picastro - Shorter Hard
3. MP3:Richard Buckner - Pull (live on RCF, France May 2003)
4. MP3:Sleater-Kinney - Entertain (live on XFM, UK, April 2005) (this performance makes an interesting contrast to Buckner's. Clips of both could be used in, say, a coffee commercial. Bucker - before caffeine. Sleater-Kinney - after)
5. MP3:The American Analog Set - Everything Ends In Spring (edit)
6. Aaron Stout - The Ballad of Mr Lamatta
7. Marissa Nadler - Flora Barone, Queen of the Vaudeville Throne
8. MP3:Four Tet - Both When I'm Alone and We Both Are
9. Tremulous Monk - Tea Hippy
10. MP3:Laura Veirs - Flotsam 'n' Jetsam
11. MP3:David Eugene Edwards - Nobody 'Cept You
12. MP3:Vetiver (featuring Hairy Fairy) - You May Be Blue (live at Les Vieilles Charrue, Brittany July 2005)
13. colleen - The Zither Song
14. Laura Cantrell - Hammer and Nails
15. Pacific Ocean Fire - My Drinking Days Are Done
16. Maria Taylor - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
17. Frank Black - Atlantis

3 Comments:

Blogger "Betty" said...

thanks for the tracks... i took the laura veirs...great site by the way...keep it up... :)

6:15 PM  
Blogger The Graduate said...

David Eugene Edwards? Solo? Gimme Gimme Gimme! Slight shame that it's him recycling the Dylan cover that 16 Horsepower used to close their 'Secret South' album but nevertheless still exciting.

2:43 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

"Betty", you're welcome and thanks!

Grad, three gimmes and I simply melt. Who told you?! It became a problem in dating-type situations, had to learn to plug my ears very quickly and do that "lalala I'm not listening" thing if I wasn't interested... I posted the song, as you knew I would, with that secret info you somehow acquired.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home