Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Sunday, February 26, 2006

David Bowie Duets With Cher

Via Entertaintment Weekly, an unusual array of rare music clips available on YouTube.

Fans of David Bowie, Cher, 70s fashion, and/or campy and weird viewing experiences might want to check out Bowie and Cher's lengthy medley, beginning with "Young Americans", and including parts of "Song Sung Blue", "One" (as in "One is the loneliest number"), "Da Do Run Run", "Wedding Bell Blues", "Blue Moon", and oh, so many more. It's enough to make one crave more epic medleys. This one is from Bowie's November 1975 visit to the Cher Show. He also sang "Can You Hear Me" with Cher, and took to the stage alone for "Fame" during the episode.

Cheesy, yes. Cringe-inducing, sure. More-than-vaguely-horrifying, perhaps. Yet there's something special about the variety show format that the U.S., at least, is missing out on in its focus on encouraging celebrities to ice-skate and dance. Shouldn't we have different celebrities embarrassing themselves in a wide variety of contexts without fear of being voted off, like our forefathers and foremothers like Cher did? They probably saved a lot of time not having to phone in votes.

With The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour presumably kaput, the world can only wait for a new variety show to step in and fill that gaping hole in the TV schedule... and I daresay, in our hearts.

David Bowie - Fame (from Young Americans)

4 Comments:

Blogger xolondon said...

I need to admit here (I don't think I have said it on my blog), that when I was a child Sonny And Cher was my favorite show. I would imitate them on my front lawn!

When she had her own show, I liked how she'd start the show in a spotlight, doing whatever song it was as a ballad, wrapped in some sort of fur or something. Then the song's tempo would pick up, she'd fling off the wrap and dance down a runway to sing the song.

Cher is an American institution! Who did not shed a tiny tear when she read Sonny's eulogy on TV, hmmm?

4:11 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Aw, I'm sorry I dissed a clip from your favorite childhood show! I don't think I've ever seen Cher's/Sonny and Cher's show, other than brief clips. I was a Bowie fan as a kid (and still am), had a mild "why must he be so old?" crush on him.

Once a medley borrows from more than about three songs in this kind of context, it's hard for it to not seem weird to me... it's just not a format I'm used to, I guess. (Probably partly because I was variety-show-deprived as a child)

Come to think of it, I find Bowie's song and video with Jagger, "Dancing In The Street", weirder than his duet with Cher.

5:49 PM  
Blogger xolondon said...

Oh don't worry. Everybody slams Cher. But come Armageddon I will ride away on her spaceship with an army of women with botoxed faces.

1:56 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

It's good to have a plan.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home