Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Saturday, September 30, 2006

CMJ New Music Monthly Issue/CD 142

CMJ New Music Monthly believes Catfish Haven will save our souls, according to their cover.

This involves their brand of roots-rock music, which might be "too hot for hipsters to handle". Hey, CMJ, please stop using the word "hipsters". I don't think you know who you're referring to anymore anyway, if you ever did. The word went passed "tired" long ago. I remember I first started hearing the word a lot when Kramer was called a hipster doofus on Seinfeld and that show ended over eight years ago. Let's find some new terminology to drive into the ground.

As for Catfish Haven's desire to "maintain [their] integrity and fuckin' rock", it's swell. The group's drummer Ryan Farnham says "We respect what every band's doing, for sure" but singles out the Bellrays and My Morning Jacket "and just rootsy-based rock-bands" for "looking back" and making music that sounds like older music because much of it "is just so timeless".

Meanwhile, singer-guitarist George Hunter is critical of "dance-punk bands [who] can become an overnight success because they have a fuckin' hairdo."

So much for respect.

If the group can only appreciate music that sounds like older music, perhaps they aren't the best ones to judge the quality of dance-punk music.

This issue also includes a long interview with Girl Talk's Gregg Gillis and shorter interviews aplenty.

CMJ New Music Monthly Vol. 142. Track Listing:

Right-click to download tracks:

1. Catfish Haven - Crazy For Leaving (Listened to the entire CD before I looked at the cover or the interview. I went back and listened to this track a couple times, but I still disliked it. Roots-rock is not my favorite, but I somehow think even if it was, I'd find this song mediocre. Your mileage may vary, but that's always true.)
2. Kasabian - Empire (available on Empire) Oasis-endorsed rock from emo-bashing Brits.
3. The Zutons - Valerie (available on Tired Of Hangin' Around) Rollicking alt-rock.
4. Ray LaMontagne - Three More Days
5. My Brightest Diamond - Dragonfly
6. Mew - Why Are You Looking Grave? (available on And The Glass Handed Kites) Another beautiful song from Mew, with another interesting (and weird) video to go with it.
7. La Rocca - Sketches (20 Something Life)
8. The Roots - Don't Feel Right
9. 1090 Club - Second Hander
10. Brisa Roché - Mystery Man
11. A Bad Think - On My Own
12. Boys Like Girls - Hero-Heroine (unlikely to be endorsed by Kasabian, and not because of the group's lousy name. It's the emo factor)
13. Majestic 12 - Condoleezza, Check My Posse ("I think I'll buy myself a home in San Diego/I'll buy some Mexicans to clean it every day!/I'd buy Canadians, but they're all friggin' lazy/That's where the hippies went when Dubya won the day/Oh oh oh oh, I will rule the world forever/I'm straight and white and male, American and free" Heavily irreverent, with handclaps. The Majestic Twelve invite everyone to download their CD, Schizophrenology for free in exchange for telling friends about the group if they like the album. Good for them.
14. Citizen Cope - Back Together
15. John Mayer - Waiting On The World To Change
16. Cibelle - Phoenix (available on The Shine Of Dried Electric Leaves) Like Psapp? I'm just curious. This is nothing like Psapp. I keed. Recommended if you like Psapp's twerpy/beepy, gentle-synth lo-fi sound.
17. Nicole Atkins - Neptune City

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home