CMJ Magazine and CD: Issue 133
Four Tet's on the cover. Inside is an interview wherein he talks about his new album, because it would be silly to put the interview on the outside of the magazine. For one thing, back cover ads generate a lot of revenue. CMJ would hate to give that up, and Embrace would be ever so sad to lose the ad for their album "Out of Nothing" -- or as the ad calls it, "OUT OF NOTHING". It's "Epic" and "Monumental," or so I hear...
Also interviewed in this issue o' CMJ:
- Stephen Malkmus: "I've developed into one of those thirtysomething jock guys that plays basketball -- with indie guys, though." Poor Stephen, so trying to hang on to his indie cred. If anyone ever sees him playing basketball, try to see whether he's wearing Dockers.
- Frank Black: only a one-page Q&A, grr... They asked what other bands he'd like to see reunite. His answer: "Maybe the Jam? They've got a nice repertoire. I think a lot of people, in the States anyway, became fans a little bit after the fact. By the time I got around to listening to them, they had already broken uo, It's pretty high-energy music. I'd go see that."
- Sleater-Kinney: another one-page Q&A. Drummer Janet Weiss said it's "hilarious" that journalists read the band's blog, which contains, among other things, complaining about journalists asking the same questions. Weiss can't get over the blog-reading: "That's so funny that you guys read the blog. You know that we're just gonna lie like crazy on that thing."
Why put something on her band's website, and then be surprised that music journalists read it? She even mocks them for it. I doubt she's naïve or foolish enough to have thought her blog was safe from journalists' prying eyes. So she's likely being disingenuous and nasty in saying she thinks it's hilarious that they read the blog. Either that, or she thinks she knows how they should do their job, and it shouldn't entail research? Either way, this annoyed me.
However, I appreciate the fair warning that they're "just gonna lie like crazy on that thing." The Sleater-Kinney blog can be found at their website here. It hasn't been updated since June 30.
From the Sleater-Kinney blog: "Here we are in Knoxville, TN. Nice people abound. While getting coffee I inquired as to where a certain part of town was and a cute boy actually escorted me all the way there."
Corrected-for-truth-version?: "Here we are in Cookeville, TN. Rude people everywhere! While getting iced tea I demanded to know where the nearest airport was, so I could get the hell out of there as soon as possible and some ugly old woman offered to drive me there herself, if it meant getting rid of me.
The latest CMJ also includes write-ups on Be Your Own Pet, Feist, Youth Group, Hal and others, lots of reviews and much more.
CMJ CD Track Listing:
1. mp3:Four Tet - Smile Around The Face
2. Sleater-Kinney - Entertain
3. Embrace - Ashes (Oh, poor Embrace. This track has a scratch on my CD. I wonder how widespread the problem is... all those back issue ads... and they get flawed tracks on the CDs?).
4. mp3:Shout Out Louds - Very Loud
5. mp3:Dredg - Bug Eyes
6. Youth Group - Skeleton Jar
7. Idiot Pilot - To Buy A Gun
9. mp3:Marjorie Fair - Empty Room
10. mp3:Jim Boggia - Live The Proof
11. Jamison Parker - Best Mistake
12. mp3:Matisyahu - King Without A Crown
13. Gabby La La - Be Careful What You Wish For 'Cause It Might Come True
14. Meshuggah - Shed
15. Nile - Lashed To The Slave Stick
16. Pepper - Give It Up
17. An Angle - A Way With Words
18. Pine*am - Gymnopedie 0.1