Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Friday, August 05, 2005

Friday On My Mind: Friday Songs

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday's child "is loving and giving." I wonder if a statistically disproportionate number of music bloggers were born on Friday. I should do a study...

Friday was of course named for that lovable scamp Fry from the television program Futurama. How he earned this honour I don't know but I asume it involved some sort of wacky time-traveling misadventure. I'm not surprised that it isn't spelled Fryday because spellings often change through the years. I am a tad puzzled as to why Wikipedia gives the credit to some love goddess named Frige. They expect us to believe that at some point people might have said, "Thank God it's Frigeday" (oh, okay, Frigedaeg) without smirking? Whatever, Wikipedia. Incidentally, if this was somehow once true, it abbreviates to the same name of a restaurant chain I don't go to that features "standard American cuisine, bar food, and alcoholic beverages." Sounds delightful, and I do feel as though I may be missing out, but you can't have everything.

Lastly, pre-music, if you don't know what kind of child you are, you can quickly find out here and find out the alleged meaning here.

And now, on to the music... a fairly eclectic mix today...

Friday Music:

mp3:The Replacements - Love You Till Friday(from Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out The Trash)

mp3:Flogging Molly - Black Friday Rule (from Swagger)

mp3:The Darkness - Friday Night(from Permission to Land)

mp3:Allister - Friday Night(from Dead Ends and Girlfriends)

mp3:The Professionals - Friday Night Square(from I Didn't See It Coming)

mp3:Larry Carlton - Friday Night Shuffle(from Sapphire Blue)

mp3:Daniel Bedingfield - Friday(from Gotta Get Thru This)

mp3:Doves - Friday's Dust(from The Last Broadcast)

And now for a few covers of Friday songs, along with the original versions...

The Covers:

mp3:David Bowie - Friday On My Mind(from Pin Ups)

mp3:Tages - Friday On My Mind(from the U.K. album In My Dreams)

mp3:The Dukes - Friday On My Mind(appears to be out of print, though it is on an interesting-looking, although also out of print -- at least in the U.S. -- box set of Dutch music called Nederbeat 63-69. 1963-69 was apparently "the golden era of Dutch pop music.")

The Original

mp3:The Easybeats - Friday On My Mind(from The Very Best of The Easybeats)

More Covers

mp3:Death Cab for Cutie - Friday I'm In Love (live)

mp3:Dryden Mitchell- Friday I'm In Love (from the 50 First Dates soundtrack. *Link fixed. Sorry about that!*)

Not The Original, Yet Not A Cover Either, Followed By the Original

mp3:The Cure - Friday I'm In Love (live, MTV Unplugged)

mp3:The Cure - Friday I'm In Love (from Galore)

3 Comments:

Blogger solotoo said...

Your Dryden Mitchell track is coming up as The Cure Acoustic Remix.

11:50 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Nooooo! I mean, thank you for letting me know. Sorry about that. I thought I checked everything, but apparently not. I'll fix that right now. (working on Saturday's songs now. Definitely will get those links right...)

11:54 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Okay, it's working now... that "acoustic remix" BTW is really the same as the MTV Unplugged track, so I (thought I) deleted that link. I wanted to label it correctly before I posted it. Anyhoo, sorry 'bout that...

Oh, and I was born on a Friday too, drumman. :)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home