Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Top Ten Overrated Albums of All Time



A BBC6 poll has revealed the top ten overrated albums of all time. So now we know. The folks in the U.K. might be sick of the hype surrounding some of these albums. Several of them have been on the music mags' "greatest ever" lists an awful lot. By the very nature of an "overrated" list it's going to be partly influenced by a "backlash" effect. It isn't just going to be about the music; emotions will get in the way. However, I do feel that The Queen Is Dead is probably just a typo. It just seems the most likely and most reasonable explanation. The other possibility is that people were confused and meant to name an album by Queen. They could be considered overrated, particularly given some very recent press surrounding a song of theirs being named as the world's favourite. I think the U.K. kids are spot on about the Coldplay album, though!

Top Ten Overrated Albums:

1. NIRVANA - NEVERMIND (1991)

MP3:Nirvana - On a Plain

MP3:Nirvana - In Bloom

2. COLDPLAY - X+Y (2005)

I lost my CD. :(

3. THE LIBERTINES - THE LIBERTINES (2004)

MP3:The Libertines - The Narcissist

MP3:The Libertines - What Became of the Likely Lads

4. OASIS - DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994)

MP3:Oasis - Supersonic

MP3:Oasis - Live Forever

5. U2 - THE JOSHUA TREE (1987)

MP3:U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky

MP3:U2 - With or Without You

6. RADIOHEAD - OK COMPUTER (1997)

MP3:Radiohead - No Surprises

MP3:Radiohead - Lucky

7. THE BEATLES - SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1967)

MP3:The Beatles - A Day in the Life

MP3:The Beatles - Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

8. THE BEACH BOYS - PET SOUNDS (1966)

MP3:The Beach Boys - Sloop John B

MP3:The Beach Boys - I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

9. THE SEX PISTOLS - NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS (1977)

MP3:The Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen

MP3:The Sex Pistols - Submission

10. THE SMITHS - THE QUEEN IS DEAD (1986)

MP3:The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

(another one from this album is at the end of the previous post...)

3 Comments:

Blogger xolondon said...

These polls are kind of pointless because these will end up on the best list too. I DO think Nevermind is overrated, but that's just because it's not my kind of thing. I think X&Y is one of the most hyped records I have ever heard and I think it fails in that sense. It's fine, but a retread in many ways and it has some TERRIBLE lyrics.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Parklife said...

Well for me Nirvana is overrated too but all the other Grunge-Seattle-bands are much more overrated (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden...). But REALLY overrated nowadays are the hype bands like White Stripes or Franz Ferdinand...

3:24 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

This is so subjective. I generally like these best/greatest lists, as silly as they are. They're still fun. It does kind of suck that some of the same albums so dominate the top of the lists that some brilliant albums continually get overlooked.

I was not in love with grunge, so it might be for xo's "not my thing" reason that I feel like many of those bands were overrated. I don't consider Nirvana in the same class. I do think Nevermind is a classic, though once we learned Kurt Cobain died, there was probably a tendency to think of the album as though it had some kind of sacred glow.

OK Computer and The Queen Is Dead... classics. I dig Oasis, but I think Definitely Maybe has maybe a few great songs, but is definitely not a great album. X&Y is the greatest album in the history of recorded music and anyone who says otherwise is clearly joking. The only problem is that there is no conceivable way to top this masterpiece and the only logical next move is for the band to break up and move on to new, non-musical careers. (Well, once you've "conquered the world, what's left but retirement? Haven't they earned it?)

Sorry for taking so long to respond here, guys.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home