Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Q: Best of 2005 CD Volume #2



The December Q traditionally includes a compilation of the songs Q deems the best of the year. This year, Q has put together two volumes and suckers -- I mean dedicated music lovers -- like me will dutifully purchase two copies of the mag just to get their grubby (yet lovely, or masculine, as the case may be) hands on both CDs. I'm posting tracks from the second volume first either because I'm an unconventional lass or because it's the one I randomly grabbed first.

Dave Grohl peers at the reader from the cover of Q, as if to say "Two copies? Isn't that a little wasteful? And you call yourself an environmentalist." He looks either a bit menacing or tired; I can't decide which. Poor dear could probably use a few Mentos (the Freshmaker!). Not a mint one though; those things are awful! I'm biased; I hate strongly-flavoured mints. The huge bold print on the cover reads FOO FIGHTERS, possibly causing poor Dave to look so glum, as his name is in much smaller print ("At home. In therapy. The real Dave Grohl.") Well, I didn't think it would be an article about a fictitious Dave Grohl, although that admittedly would have been more imaginative.

Review-wise, four stars for Kate Bush's Aerial. Q-recommended tracks: "King of the Mountain", "Pi", "Mrs. Bartolozzi", "How to Be Invisible", "A Coral Room", and "A Sky of Honey" (the whole second disc!). Q says "The world is a better place with Kate Bush in it. She really should do this sort of thing more often." I'll co-sign that.

Q - Best of 2005 Volume #2 Track Listing:

1. Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
2. Athlete - Half Light
3. MP3:Feeder - Bitter Glass (Pushing the Senses)
4. KT Tunstall - Stoppin' The Love
5. MP3:Kirsty MacColl - Sun on the Water from The Best of Kirsty MacColl)
6. The Magic Numbers - Forever Lost
7. MP3:The Stands - Do It Like You Like
8. MP3:The Go-Betweens - Finding You (from Oceans Apart. I love this song)
9. MP3:Elbow - Great Expectations (from (Leaders of the Free World)
10. Bright Eyes - We Are Nowhere and It's Now
11. Willy Mason - Fear No Pain
12. My Morning Jacket - Gideon
13. Joseph Arthur - Echo Park.
14. Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
15. Antony and the Johnsons - Fistful of Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home