Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hot Press Magazine and Live & Rare CD



A mag (with-a-CD!) I've never seen before! "Printed in Ireland! (I have a "thing" for Ireland). And I didn't even drool on it! Aren't you proud of my high degree of self-control? Admittedly, I had just had a haircut, so I really would not have wanted to mess it up with drool. At least not until tomorrow.

The mag is Hot Press, and it's issued every fortnight. They cover politics, games, film, and other forms of entertainment as well as music. I'm down with that. Franz Ferdinand are on the cover of the current issue, which also includes interviews with Joss Whedon, mastermind of the disappointing movie Serenity and one with Gemma Hayes. There are reviews aplenty as well.

The CD is called "Live & Rare Vol.1 - 13 exclusive tracks from Ireland's favorite acts". It was produced with Jon Richards of Galway Bay FM and includes songs originally aired on his InStudio Sessions program. They also appear on the 39-track double album EmBraces.

The CD is really strong.

Live & Rare Vol.1 - 13 exclusive tracks from Ireland's favorite acts Track Listing:

1.MP3:Damien Rice - I Remember
2. The Frames - Lay Me Down
3. Jerry Fish & the Mudbug Club - True Friends
4. Mundy - Healthy
5. Rodrigo y Gabriela - Diem
6. MP3:The Devlins - There is a Light
7. The 4 of Us - Washington Down
8. MP3:Nina Hynes - Universal
9. MP3:Josh Ritter - Come and Find Me
10. MP3:Ron Sexsmith - Tell Me Again
11.MP3:Ann Scott - Start
12. Roesy - Trailing the True Star
13. The Sawdoctors - Clare Island

3 Comments:

Blogger serafinafly said...

Thanks for the great tracks...i took three...and for the heads' up on a new mag...maybe i can get it delivered in the states??

:) great blog...i frequent...

9:24 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Im from Ireland... Hot Press is a decent mag... althought U2 bailed it out financially a few times.... a little too political but decent...

1:42 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

You're welcome/thanks! :) Your probably can subscribe, but it's usually so expensive to subscribe to European mags. I also wonder whether American subscribers always get the CDs. Some stores sell the mags without them.

Michael, Hot Press does seem pretty political... I think Rolling Stone is very political. I'm more bothered by their eagerness to put scantily clad, relatively talentless women on their cover when that space could be given to, oh, I don't know, musicians -- preferably good ones. That really damages their credibility with me.

That's interesting about U2 bailing out Hot Press! A few times, even. I'm all over the place with my feelings about U2's opinions/actions. Hated what they did with Negativland, for example... So are U2 friends of the First Amendment only when they like what the messengers are saying? Hmm.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home