Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Thursday, March 30, 2006

Replacements Record New Songs For Best-Of

Billboard brings welcome news of at least a brief, limited-purpose Replacements reunion, with Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, and Chris Mars recording two new songs together for a Replacements collection, set for a June 13 release. Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements includes 18 previously released tracks and the two freshly recorded songs, "Message to the Boys" and "Pool & Dive", both penned by 'Mats frontman Paul Westerberg.

Last year, Westerberg told an interviewer that drummer Chris Mars had "moved on into art" and was not interested in a Replacements reunion. Westerberg said, "It can't be the Replacements without Chris".

"Sources" tell Billboard that a Replacements box set (planned for 2007 at the earliest), and expanded editions of the 'Mats albums are in the works.

Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements Track Listing:

Takin' A Ride
Shiftless When Idle
Kids Don't Follow
Color Me Impressed
Within Your Reach
I Will Dare (from Let It Be)
Answering Machine
Unsatisfied
Here Comes A Regular
Kiss Me On The Bus
Bastards of Young
Left of the Dial (from Tim)
Alex Chilton
Skyway
Can't Hardly Wait
Achin' To Be
I'll Be You
Merry Go Round
Message to the Boys (new)
Pool & Dive (new)

3 Comments:

Blogger xolondon said...

My later fave is "They're Blind" - but this set will probably please the fans who go way back.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Why not just make a new album? The greatest hits they released in 1997 with all the B-sides was very good. Seems like they are just "cashing in", but don't get me wrong, I love the band.

7:59 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

It's fair to at least ask the question whether they're just cashing in. They're only recording two songs, and putting them on a greatest hits album when they've already released one (which is still available).

Paul Westerberg has been sort of wistfully talking about wanting to reunite the band for years though. I don't think it's about the money for him. It's possible that a couple songs is all Chris Mars is willing to do, at least for now. Maybe the hope is that he'll have fun once he gets back in the studio, and will want to record a whole album. If the album would be good and the guys would get along, then that's my hope anyway.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home