Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Monday, March 10, 2008

"The electric drill just caught my attention. I just loved the sounds it made!"

Well, here's something you probably don't see everyday. Today PingMag posted an excellent interview with Ujino Muneteru. He takes appliances, tools, furniture, and seemingly pretty much anything that isn't nailed down, and reconfigures them into a melange of creative instruments. He makes music with these Frankenstein-esque instruments under the name The Rotators.

Muneteru says, "I'm not so much trying to replicate real instruments as much as the ideas come to me." He prefers to work with older items. "I think I am drawn to them because I can see how they work and function."

Plus, there's the nostalgia effect on the audience. "I want my installations and performances to bounce back old memories and draw people in. Like going to a flea market, everyone's going to click with something different and say, 'Oh! I used to have one of those when I was a kid.'"

The interview is fun. He compares the look of his live show to "a cooking show on TV", and thanks to his YouTube videos, you can see what he means.

Check out PingMag for the interesting interview, cool pictures, and info on the Rotators' tour schedule (which includes an appearance in New York).

"The Savage's Plastic Ikebaka":



Will it blend?... wait, that's a different blender video...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home