Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Thursday, December 14, 2006

10 Best and Worst Beatles Covers

Uncut gives its take on the best and worst Beatles covers in the latest issue.

While their pick for the worst, Robin Williams & Bobby McFerrin's "Come Together" is truly bad, Natalie Cole's "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" is jaw-droppingly hideous. It's truly remarkable, and earned that #1 spot well before Cole started rambling on with the self-indulgent, odd "She ain't wearin' rubies" nonsense, which she probably thought was genius.

The 10 Worst Beatles Covers:

1. Robin Williams & Bobby McFerrin - "Come Together" (available on George Martin - In My Life)
2. Natalie Cole - "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" (Live) (available on Greatest Hits - Volume 1) Uncut: "If just for the ad-libbed shouty coda, "She ain't wearin' rubies, she ain't wearin' emeralds - they're diamonds!".
3. Phil Collins - "Tomorrow Never Knows"
4. Will Young & Gareth Gates - "The Long And Winding Road"
5. The Anti-Nowhere League - "Nowhere Man"
6. Bing Crosby - "Hey Jude"
7. Suggs - "I'm Only Sleeping"
8. Mötley Crüe - "Helter Skelter"
9. Tiffany - "I Saw Him Standing There"
10. Hootie & The Blowfish - "The Ballad Of John & Yoko"

The 10 Best Beatles Covers:

1. Stevie Wonder - "We Can Work It Out"
2. Bryan Ferry - "She's Leaving Home"
3. Del Shannon - "From Me To You" (available on Runaway - The Very Best of Del Shannon). Shannon's cover was released before the original.
4. The Fall - "A Day In The Life"
5. Frank Sinatra - "Something"
6. Scritti Politti Feat. Shabba Ranks - "She's A Woman"
7. Earth, Wind & Fire - "Got To Get You Into My Life"
8. Joe Cocker - "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"
9. Emmylou Harris - "Here, There And Everywhere"
10. Peter Sellers - "A Hard Day's Night" (available on Legends of the 20th Century) Uncut: "Take the signature tune from the first great pop movie, dress yourself up like Richard III, and deliver the lyric in the style of a Shakespearean soliloquy. Obvious, really."

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert Rouse said...

What about Cocker's cover of "A Little Help From My Friends", Cheap Trick's take on "Day Tripper", Crosby, Stills and Nash doing "Blackbird", Earth, Wind and Fire's "Got to Get You Into My Life", and Aerosmith's "Come Together"? Just curious on your take on those takes.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

Sorry, I guess I missed your Earth Wind & Fire comment.

5:02 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Well, they're Uncut's lists... if I was going to make a best Beatles covers list, it would have more alternative songs (like Sonic Youth's "Within You Without You").

I think Cocker's song is good and only dimly remember having heard the Cheap Trick version of "Day Tripper" and I'm afraid I haven't heard (or don't remember) the others. In general I don't like Aerosmith, so odds are I wouldn't like that one. Sounds like these are tracks I should check out though...

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home