Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Thursday, August 11, 2005

This Post is Not Titled Sister Christian: Best Week Ever Live

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm fond of VH1's Best Week Ever, but the show has been testing my affection lately. A couple recent episodes seemed a trifle weak, but no one's always at the top of their game. Last week's announcement of an extended vacation was a bit much. Apparently producing about 22 minutes of comedy every week is pretty grueling, though, because they go on vacations a lot. I don't know how many minutes a week you can make people laugh without resorting to tickling -- an option not available to Vh1 with current technology -- but it must be difficult. I figured the Best Week Ever gang must need a few weeks of vacation every three months or so to take a humour break, and not be "on." Recharge their comic batteries, maybe visit their parents and remember why they hate them.

So it was a bit of a surprise when I had to find out on the streets -- and by "the streets" I mean "the Internet" -- that the vacation announcement was a tad misleading. Many of the folks from the Best Week Ever crew have hit the road for some live gigs, creatively titled Best Week Ever Live. Hmm, maybe their creative juices have run dry.

They had a few shows in NY and have two scheduled for next week at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in LA.

The two shows:

Monday, August 15, 8 PM: Paul Scheer, Doug Benson, Danielle Schneider and Paul F. Tompkins

Wednesday, August 17, 11 PM: Sheer, Schneider, Christian Finnegan and Greg Fitzsimmons

Very cool lineups and I'm sure both shows will delight and enchant audiences young and old (possibly some folks aged somewhere in between as well). And yet... I would have to go to a weeknight 11 PM show to see Christian Finnegan?! And now I "have" to gripe about it and look extremely whiny, when approximately 48 states, America Junior, and the vast majority of the world is nowhere near Best Week Ever Live goodness? I should hang my hand in shame, as I don't want to be so spoiled that I can't appreciate something cool and figure out a way to grin and bear a (very) inconvenient timeslot. Only, I have to hang my head a bit anyway. The sun is glaring in through the windows, and it's rather bright -- yes, yet another sunny day! It's rather tedious, and -- oh, nevermind...

Anyway, as long as I'm complaining, I also wish Michael Colton and John Aboud, Sherrod Small, Rob Huebel, and Rachael Harris were participating in one of these shindigs (preferably an 8 PM one!), which actually makes the thought of missing out on Best Week Ever Live easier. I'm not all about the Christian love. (Or something like that) On the other hand, a lineup without Kennedy is like a sunny day without cancer-causing rays or smog.

updated to note that while I was writing this post, the 8 PM show sold out. If some people who make reservations don't show up, others may be able to get in, but of course, ya can't count on that...

mp3:Juliana Hatfield - Say It Ain't So (live)

mp3:Night Ranger - Sister Christian (from Midnight Madness, Night Ranger's Greatest Hits, the Boogie Nights soundtrack, etc.)

mp3:The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong (from Get Close, The Pretenders - Greatest Hits, etc.)

mp3:Radiohead - I might be wrong (from Amnesiac)

mp3:The Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side (from 12 X 5, box sets such as Singles Collection: The London Years, etc.)

mp3:Joe Jackson - Got the Time (from Look Sharp!, Steppin' Out/Very Best of Joe Jackson, etc.)

mp3:Crystal Method - Busy Child (from Vegas)

mp3:Evermore - It's Too Late (released as a CD single, also on the import album Dreams, and on at least the Australian version of Music from the O.C. Mix 2. If it was on the OC, it's likely a good exaggerated angst song)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kambri said...

Though you're not "all about the Christian love" perhaps you might like to see him do regular stand up and not his Best Week Ever schtick. If so, you can see him on the 16th at your desired earlier time slot of 8:00 (or 8:30, I'm not sure yet).

Email me privately and I will be happy to give you details and put you on the comp list if you want to give it (him) a shot.

As for Best Week Ever's break...not sure why it's so long this time. It has nothing to do with the live shows, but the additional live shows do have something to do with the break. And Sherrod does the live shows in NY and is a huge hit every time, but I don't think he makes it to LA often.

8:14 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Thanks, Kambri. That would be awesome.

Kids, there's a valuable lesson about whining somewhere in here, but it's very subtle. (Also I'm not quite nervy enough to spell it out) I promise to be honest and unsparing in my write-up about Christian. Why, even in real life, I am sometimes snarky even to those I love. (Did I say sometimes? In real life, I meant "rarely")

I hope Christian will keep telling Sherrod how great LA is until he starts visiting whenever Best Week Ever goes on vacation. Maybe the theory is "absence makes the heart grow fonder." Sneaky devils. Or they just like vacations.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home