Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mojo Presents - Sgt. Pepper... With A Little Help From His Friends CD



The March issue of Mojo honors some not exactly under-touted hippies from Liverpool. It's for a special occasion, though: a tribute to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, on the 40th anniversary of its release. Okay, so it was actually released in June. Let's pay tribute to Mojo for their enthusiasm! It's a great quality!

Hey, my birthday is in June. It's not my 40th and I'm not a hippie, but I am enthusiastic. Start paying tribute to me now. Let's go. I mean, wooo, let's go, everybody!!

*taps foot*

*sighs*

With Mojo's characteristic excitement, they commissioned a "re-working" of the whole album for this month's free CD. The covers range from pretty faithful to the originals to very different. Simple Kid, Unkle Bob, Captain, Circulus, Chin Up Chin Up, Circulus, and Fionn Regan are among the artists who answered the call to contribute tracks to the disc. Don't know what artists, if any, let it go to voicemail, but we know Mojo was in a hurry. Perhaps musicians need to answer every phone call to be sure they never miss out on this sort of cool opportunity. Tribute compilations may not be able to wait for phone-tag.

The mag. also added a bonus, non-Sgt. Pepper's-song, "All You Need Is Love" covered by Echo & The Bunnymen.

It's a strong compilation. Even if you're not partial to The Beatles, you may well also enjoy it. If you like The Beatles, I especially recommend checking it out, but I recommend it either way... unless you know you hate Beatles covers.

Mojo Presents - Sgt. Pepper... With A Little Help From His Friends Track Listing:

1. Simple Kid - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. Puerto Muerto - With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Circulus - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Fionn Regan - Getting Better
5. 747s - Fixing A Hole
6. Unkle Bob - She's Leaving Home
7. Bikeride - Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
8. Stephanie Dosen - Within You Without You
9. Chin Up Chin Up - When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Dave Cloud & The Gospel Of Power - Lovely Rita
11. The M's - Good Morning Good Morning
12. Simple Kid - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. Captain - A Day In The Life

(Bonus Track) 14. Echo & The Bunnymen - All You Need Is Love

4 Comments:

Blogger Hector Diego said...

Neither were the Beatles hippies. They learned their chops in the rough venues of Liverpool and Hamburg in the late 50s and early 60s and come from an older strata of social consciousness compared to hippies. Now the Grateful Dead--those are hippies.

Because they advocated peace and love, this makes the Beatles hippies? So did Jesus, Buddha, Gandhi, Popes, etc. Are these folks hippies?

What do you mean by hippy?

8:34 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

It's a joke.

8:38 AM  
Blogger xolondon said...

heh heh!

I was just about to email you re the Captain cover and then I realized the MP3 was right thurrr in my face.
thanks!

6:49 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

:) You're welcome; hope you like it!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home