Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Weakerthans Release Single, Tour, and... Regret Not Seeking Table-Free Venues?



Time to get that lovable curling anthem stuck in your head again. The Weakerthans have just released a video for "Tournament of Hearts", from Reunion Tour, my favorite album of 2007. "Tournament" "finds a curler eloquently expressing their frustration with life by using the language of their sport":

"'Why can't I ever stop where I want to stay?'
I slide right through the day
Always throwing hack weight
Right off, no never never ever ever
Right off, no never never ever never"


The lyrics are melancholy, but the music is very cheerful; together it produces a cathartic effect. The feel-good impact is perhaps best felt when singing along from atop a sturdy table.

"Tournament of Hearts" will be released as a single in Europe, with an "exclusive" live version of "Relative Surplus Value", recorded last fall, as the B-side. The iTunes release date, "throughout Europe", is June 23rd. It will be released via other ways and means a week later. The band is currently on a tour which coincidently finds them in Europe at present.

The "Tournament of Hearts" video:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

O thank you for this! It was just what i was looking for today!

cheers!

8:36 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

You're welcome; I'm glad you found it!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home