Kofi's hat

Kofi's hat

MP3s, music news and reviews, and a sprinkling of pop culture. Named by Aqualung's Matt Hales, after his son.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Ink in my blood, a song in my heart. Metaphor is my middle name.



Saturday, September 17, 2005

Allegedly Life-changing "Indie-Rock" "Bands"

The Associated Press, in covering the CMJ Music Marathon, writes about "indie music" moving closer to the mainstream. Nah, they don't mean alt. music is starting to sound more generic. They mean it's becoming more popular.

The AP also names several "indie rock bands" that it claims will "change your life". Sufjan Stevens is an "indie rock band"? Oh, I get it. Sufjan Stevens now has a band named after him. An indie rock band evidently. I couldn't find a website for them or any record of their existence, so they must be pretty underground. Cool, but that made posting an mp3 by them "umpossible". So I'm just posting a song by the "regular" Sufjan Stevens and remind you that the AP didn't promise he'd change your life. I guess he may, but don't expect miracles. If you've been listening to him for a while, maybe if he was going to change your life, he would have by now.

What the-John Vanderslice? Is there a band named after him too? Screw it. Just posting a song by the dude John Vanderslice too. I don't know about this trend; life is confusing enough already.

The AP's "Indie Rock Bands That Will Change Your Life":

mp3:Arcade Fire - Old Flame (from Arcade Fire)

mp3:The Flaming Lips - Spongebob & Patrick Confront the Psychic Wall of Energy (from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Music from the Movie and More... )

mp3:Thievery Corporation feat. The Flaming Lips - Marching the Hate Machines (Into the Sun) (from The Cosmic Game) (actually just the Flaming Lips will supposedly change your life. I really shouldn't let Thievery Corporation grab any of their glory)

mp3:Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Our Time (from the EP Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

mp3:Antony and the Johnsons - Perfect Day (Lou Reed cover, from Lou Reed's The Raven. I think this is okay... I guess... but I prefer Lou Reed's version. Also prefer the version done by a ton of people for a commercial for... the BBC, was it? Kirsty MacColl and Evan Dando have a nice version too)

mp3:Spoon - I Summon You (from Gimme Fiction)

mp3:Sufjan Stevens - All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace! (from Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State)

mp3:John Vanderslice - My Old Flame (from Time Travel is Lonely)

3 Comments:

Blogger muruch said...

Cheers for the link. And Antony & the Johnsons, Sex Pistols, Blondie, Patti Smith, and Raul Midon (been looking for him for ages).

2:58 AM  
Blogger trill42 said...

Hi, np, and hope you had a great trip! And oops/sorry for mislabeling the Raul Midon (it's called "Keep On Hoping" -- I retitled/retagged and reuploaded it below).

Here's another Raul Midon:

Raul Midon - Everybody

5:55 PM  
Blogger trill42 said...

My French is way too rusty to attempt to say this en Francais (though it's tempting), but it's not necessary to feel shame! Lou Reed's producer "found" Antony at a music festival (apparently he just went by "Antony" then). He and Reed were very impressed by his voice and asked him to perform on Raven. Lou Reed talks about it in this interview but I'll warn you that it's an unpleasant interview. Reed took a disliking to the interviewer and wasn't Captain Friendly (I think the interviewer was a bit awkward, and put his foot in his mouth a few times, but he seemed well-intentioned).

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home